Tuesday, July 7, 2009

King on the King of Pop

FINALLY! I had been waiting for someone to say something - anything - at least a feeble hand to be raised amidst the colossal worship of Michael Jackson followed by, "wait a minute... isn't this the guy accused of pedophilia, who paid hush money to his victims?" Obama didn't raise his hand when asked. Colin Powell didn't either.

Well, Peter King, a US congressman from New York did more than raise his hand. He published a video on YouTube, calling Jackson a pervert, lowlife, and pedophile. He asked why the media wasn't talking about real heroes - soldiers, firemen, policemen. This finally got the media talking, and there was a panel on CNN to discuss the video. They talked about Michael Jackson's accomplishments, what he did for African Americans - yet each admitted they would not allow their own children to be with Jackson. They clearly were willing to separate the art from the man, something I am having some difficulty doing.

King, knowingly or not, is really addressing something bigger than the here-and-now of the Michael Jackson story. He is really addressing something fundamentally wrong with American culture - how we have lost sight of goodness, honor, integrity - now only a mirage in the media. Instead we celebrate excess, infidelity, and hold no one to any moral standards. In fact to try to do so, as King has done, is to draw attack. Already there is a website soliciting donations to build a campaign war chest for whoever may run against King in whatever election in the future.

The media has put together what they think we want - America's own "Lady Di" funeral. What America really needs is a kick in its moral ass. Peter King has his boots on and is ready to deliver.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that you say that about the moral standings of Americans. I have a story on a smaller scale. I got a call from my neighbors, it was my frantic wife saying our child was locked in the car. She said he had the keys while she was putting him in the car and when she got to the other side he had hit the lock button on the keys. Me working 15min from the house quickly was on my way. I get to the house to see that my wife and the neighbor where trying to break in the house where the spare key was. So I get out quickly break into the house and get our child out of the car.

    I then look down the street and I see that our neighbors husband was home. I asked my wife if he came to help. Since he was a freind of ours I thought that it was strange and pissed me off a little. So I called him and what really made me mad was the responds I got. I asked him why he didnt help his wife and mine break into the house, he told me " nobody asked me to help", then I asked him if he knew the situation, he said "yes, what was I suppose to do throw a rock through the window."

    I cant beleive that. If a mother came over to my asking to use the phone because her child is locked in the car, I would not need an invite to help. I dont understand the mentality of Americans today. The loss of values makes me sick. Its the attitude of what can I do for myself vs what can I do to help someone else.

    I have my boots on and Im ready.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I am a typical 40-something American. I am a husband and a father. And like many of you I work hard to try to improve my life and the lives of my children. I don't want much from anyone or from my government - I just want to be left alone to go about my business and leave my little footprint on the world. I have grown very concerned about the direction our country is headed and firmly believe we have collectively lost sight of the basic principles that gave rise to our great nation. For awhile now I have been feeling more and more compelled to find a way to voice my concerns about this and share them with others - and that is the reason for this blog. I live near and work in New York City, by way of Texas, where I spent the majority of my formative years. I have an undergraduate degree in Economics and a Masters in Business Administration. My wife and I have three children, a dog, and a cat to keep us busy. I hope you enjoy what I have to say!
Politics blogs